Saturday 23 November 2013

Thredbo to Melbourne Nov 18th

On leaving Thredbo, the group of us that had been up on the chairlift motored easily down into Jindabyne at about noon for a cup of coffee and bite to eat. Dropping down off the mountain, the sun was out and Lake Jindabyne was a stunning view – Unlike it had been on Friday night when we approached in the grey and gloomy rain. 
  Afterwards, we said our farewells and the others took off east towards Canberra / Sydney, which I set off south towards the Victorian High Country.  As I have mentioned previously, this is one of my favourite parts of Australia, with stunning forest covered mountains, the Snowy River (of the movie “Man from Snowy River” fame, and rugged territory, and magnificent scenery. 


When I was planning my route for this trip, I had found a small dirt road on the map I had not previously travelled before, called Barry Way, which started in Jindabyne, headed south through the high country, and ended up in Bairnsdale, not far from where I needed to go.  What could be better ??   I had a few days up my sleeve as I did not need to meet up with Janet for the wedding we were attending until Wednesday, so, as it was only Sunday afternoon,  I set off on this narrow road out of Jindabyne with the intention of finding a pleasant camping site where I could stop on relax for a say or two.

Shortly after leaving Jindabyne, I crested a rise and there, in the middle of the green, cattle filled fields were …………..Easter Island statues !!!!!!!!! 

 I couldn’t believe it – Made of steel, 3 heads sat up on the hill looking down on the road !   Totally incongruous – But what I love about travel - You never know what you will see over the next rise or around the next corner !


Continuing on through the picturesque rolling fields and grazing cattle, the black top soon ended and the dirt began, but as there was virtually no other traffic, dust was not an issue. As I entered the Snowy Wilderness, there were lot of signs warning that caravans and trucks were not permitted on this road, and detailing the size and weight restrictions that applied – But I was in Troopy and can go anywhere that a vehicle can get through, so that was not an issue for me !!  Not far down the road I came across my second echidna of the weekend crossing the road, so I stopped and waited for him to cross safely, before getting out to see where he (I presume he was a he !!) went. Such funny little creatures – As soon as he sensed my presence, he put his head under a small stick, leaving his whole body exposed, and then kept perfectly still as if to say “If I can’t see you, then you cannot see me either” !!  After a little chat with him, I left him to get on with his life in peace, but they are quite rare to see in the wild nowadays due to urban sprawl, so it was a real pleasure to spend some time with him.
 
Shortly after, I crossed into Kosciuszko National Park, and entered more mountainous terrain.  When views were possible through the trees, It was almost as if you were on top of the world, and could see for miles.  I stopped at a couple of lookouts to take photos, and all the while the track was getting narrower, and steeper, and twistier, with severe (and unguarded !) drop offs at the edge – Now it was easy to understand the vehicle size restrictions that were in place – You wouldn’t want to meet a truck or caravan coming the other way !!  After maybe an hours driving, the Snowy River came into view, and when I reached a potential camping area I passed into Park Ranger who was on patrol, and stopped for a brief chat.  On enquiring about local camp sites (free camping) he said that if I turned west up a fire trail when I reached the Pinch River bridge about 2 kms up the road, and went about 5 kms up that trail, there was a big grassy area right beside the river with no one there.  Sounded perfect – So off I went, found the turn off, and after crossing a couple of dry creek beds and steep banks, and slowly negotiating the deep ruts and washaways in the track, found the spot – And it was just perfect.  The photos can show you better than any words, but suffice it to say I spent a very pleasant 48 hours beside the river, reading stories on my kindle, watching the wildlife (just a few ‘roos and emus), and eating and enjoying a bottle of red !!  Did not see one human being !!  Just a perfect spot to recharge ones batteries, with no phone or internet signal – And my sore back was doing OK, with the help of a few anti-inflammatories.

 

On the Tuesday morning, after a leisurely breakfast and pack up, I wandered back down the fire trail to the main (dirt) track, and continued my journey south. The stunning scenery continued – in some ways it is reminiscent of the highlands of Scotland (just the temperatures are all wrong !!) – And I soon crossed the official border out of NSW and into Victoria. 

Shortly after crossing the border, I passed through the town of Suggan Buggan.  Yup - That is NOT a spelling mistake !!  Who on earth thought of THAT name ???   Anyway, it consists of one house (where someone lives), an old school house from the 1860's, and a small bridge crossing the creek.  Interesting spot, in the middle of absolutely no where !

After SB, I continued on, passing a creek called "Seldom Seen Creek", and shortly thereafter one called "Ha Ha Creek" - I kid you not !!  Unfortunately missed the photo of that sign !!  Who thinks up these names ???  I love imagining what happened at Ha Ha Creek for it to end up being called that !!!

After that, it was out into the rolling Gippsland countryside as I headed down to the new home of Elsie - I had some wheels and other parts to drop off there - But more of that later on the return trip, although they have a brand new foal that is rather gorgeous, and was just lying around with his mum in the paddock !!

From Mark's place, I headed on to Mt Eliza where I was supposed to meet up with Janet, but a phone call from her told me her brother Peter was suddenly in hospital after dropping a concrete slab on his leg, and since Celia, Pete's wife, also currently has a broken right ankle, she can't drive either, so Janet was going up there to help drive their kids around for a few days !!  So it was off to Belgrave Heights in the Dandenongs instead of Mt Eliza !!  Eventually arrived there and helped do a few things to help all the cripples around there !! 
And spent the night sleeping in Troopie in the driveway !!

Photos are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment